Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Here's the Alabama Chanin Wrap Dress


Here's my take on the Alabama Chanin wrap dress I mentioned last week. I made it without any alterations and it is a good fit through shoulders, bust, waist, and hips, although there seems to be some extra fabric just under the bust which allows the front panel to hang too low. I've pinched a wedge-shaped piece out of it, and will sew it again with that change. That should make the bottom front hand evenly across. I'm not sure what the trouble is--a small ribcage maybe?


This is the mid-length, sewn in cheap jersey from Hobby Lobby. Earlier someone noted that the photos at AC make it look like there's a lot of extra fabric in this dress--there is not, actually. It is quite sleek, and nothing bunches up--at the same time, there's enough in the overlap to keep the dress from flying open. So that's good.

14 comments:

Judy said...

Lovely. And it looks wonderful on you!

R's Rue said...

Love.

Rebecca said...

I do love a wrap/surplice style! This is lovely. About the uneven hem: Why not have one of the girls simply mark the hem evenly from the floor with you wearing the shoes you'll wear with the dress? I've never had a hem come out even on anything, and my mother always insisted on my doing like her grandmother (a home ec teacher) instructed!

Anna said...

Rebecca, I do plan to trim this hem to an even course, but that doesn't fix the problem that the piece isn't hanging straight, and the seamlines aren't hanging vertically like they should.

Unknown said...

It looks pretty on You! Christina

Instagram.com/melissasnotes said...

Lovely!

Lisa said...

Such a pretty print, and a smart idea to use a print for the trial run; since it's cheap fabric the print will be a distraction from that. I've been reading that wrap dresses are "in".

Lisateresa

Wendi said...

I love it! Even with the Hobby Lobby fabric!

Shara said...

This is very flattering! Thank you for sharing your review of the pattern.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful. How girlish you look Anna, you don't seem to have aged at all in the years since you began this blog. It's a quite a bold floral and more colourful than your usual style which seems to be more for neutrals and more subtle patterns? I think it's definitely the right direction for you! Angela

Carol said...

That is beautiful! I am impressed with the wonderful job you done. I think I would like to have a dress like that.

donaleen said...

I think ALL wrap garment gap. That is why I don't like them.

Polly said...

I don't know if this is an appealing solution or not, but it's a scoliosis hack for uneven hems in a wrap dress or skirt: round them off before beginning sewing, so that there's a sort of very gentle tulip edge (that's what I'm calling it, anyhow). If they're not *supposed* to match, it's no big deal when they don't!

Alas, that really doesn't help the issue of the seams not hanging vertically!

It looks much better on you than it does on paper! I love true wrap garments and this one looks lovely.

Carol Urban said...

I love it! I've never had good success with knit fabric. Do you think a cotton or linen fabric would work?

Related Posts with Thumbnails