Thursday, February 18, 2016

Coat in the Alabama Chanin Style: Winter-Blooming Rose


Inspired by a project Natalie Chanin posted several years ago, I'd intended for a while to embellish this plain black coat. 


I made the enlarged stencil last year, but it was only Sunday that I got around to gathering the coat + stencil + felt + chalk.


The project went shockingly fast! And it was a pleasure to work with the wool materials, especially the felt. 


I don't really wear black anymore though, and I no longer wear a size 14. So I don't think I'll be wearing this. If anyone is interested, it would be $80 including shipping. And please note, the coat itself is in great shape but the pockets (invisible, in the seams) are tattered and would need mending or ignoring.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really stunning Anna. It has a very vintage look. It reminds me of Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Mackintosh rose. Beautiful.

Lisa said...

A very interesting idea, Anna.

Lisateresa

Loretta said...

I love the coat. Is it still available for purchase?

Anna said...

Loretta, it is. If you're interested please email me at pleasantviewschoolhouse (at) gmail dot com.

Rebekah said...

That looks splendid! Suddenly I feel that my 12-year old black wool coat NEEDS a make-over.

Polly said...

I am quite intrigued! I really like this idea! Did you felt your own wool, or did you buy felted wool to use? This looks like the type of project that could be medicinal, if you will, on a garment that needs revival.

Related Posts with Thumbnails