Saturday, January 03, 2015

Ashes of Roses Log Cabin Quilt


In an epic flurry (assisted by BBC's "North and South") Clara and I quilted this top in just four days. 


It's pieced in shades of pink, fuschia, and gray. The vintage cello skirt that inspired the project had one hidden pocket inside made from this alphabet fabric. We cut out four squares and put them in the corners of the quilt.


It's all quilted in black perle cotton, and the back is a lovely length of rose wool I found at the thrift store. 


 I bound it in navy blue, not the expected black. Just for fun.

10 comments:

Matushka Anna said...

I've admired all of your lovely quilts for years and only just now thought to ask: Do you quilt on a frame or just on your laps? Safety-pin layers together?

Trudy said...

You can't go wrong, having North & South as company! ;)
Gorgeous colors, beautiful work. What a satisfying hobby to share with your daughter during winter vacation. My sister quilts, but I'm bereft of crafty expertise. Perhaps someday....

Rose said...

You clever girls, it's lovely.

I imagine Clara is champing at the bit to go back to college and have a rest. ;)

Anna said...

This is all lap quilting, with the layers pinned together.

Polly said...

I have created many an item with the help of "North and South"! I love your finished product here. The back reminds me of a vintage pink wool blanket my grandmother gave me years ago. And we are in Charleston now, squabbling over who gets the most sought-after quilt...it is ancient, in similar colorways, with lots of wool. Coziest!!

seashoreknits said...

I may say this every time but..... this may be my favorite!
Well done!

Lisa said...

I haven't seen that yet - I'm just finally watching Cranford (terrific, but I guess everybody knows that). So amazing the things you ladies turn out - it looks pretty, and with a wool backing, nice and warm.

Lisateresa

Wendy said...

So pretty, I'm wondering how would you clean or wash it if it needed because of the different types of fabric?

Anna said...

Wendy, I've prewashed everything to make sure they are all safe in the washer and dryer. When I need to wash the whole things I'll do it on cool, and probably air dry or fluff dry.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails