Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Ladylike Dress for a Concert: Vintage McCalls 3755



Loving the look here of the draped neckline, the full back to the skirt (almost a suggestion of a bustle in the illustration, but not seeing it in real life), and that gorgeous cummerbund (unfortunately I was short of fabric).


I made this up in an unknown fabric, out of a bag passed on to me by the daughter of a Montreal upholsterer--it *may* be silk, in a tiny purple and gray check. It doesn't hold a pressing crease, I can tell you that!


In spite of everyone's excellent suggestions for alternate weights, I did sew two magnets into a fabric bag which is dangling at this very moment from the inside of the draped collar. I love that. It's so . . . mechanical. I'll be wearing this to a symphony concert tomorrow.

11 comments:

opportunityknits said...

So elegant, would be lovely for a concert!

Lisa said...

If you end up really loving the dress, you could make up cummerbunds of all sorts to match it. Very classy.

Lisateresa

Farrah said...

Very elegant! I would wear a black patent belt and black patent heels with it if you don't make the cummerbund. Is this for a special occasion?

walklet said...

I think you can burn test the fabric to see if it is silk. Instructions should be online somewhere...

Rozy Lass said...

If it won't hold a crease it most likely isn't silk. Looks very lovely.

Kate said...

Lovely! My husband is encouraging me to make my own clothing since it is hard to find what I'd like on the racks of our local stores.

Polly said...

Oh, I am in love with it! And I think that is a very, very familiar pattern to me. The tears in the envelopes are tell-tale signs.

I love it.

Anna said...

Aha, Polly, this was one of yours! It's a winner.

Anonymous said...

Pit looks lovely.....please show us a photo of you wearing it.

Anonymous said...

Burdastyle.com had some instructions for burn testing fabric for content.

Choate Family said...

Everything that comes from your sewing machine is so beautiful and classy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails