Saturday, August 11, 2012

Cake Lady: Hummingbird Cake


Phew! Only four more cakes to go and we'll have baked all the way through our Cake Ladies cookbook. This week we made hummingbird cake, a moist and slightly spicy cake with a couple of bananas and some pineapple in the batter. In an interesting bit of frippery, a few thin slices of fresh pineapple get oven-dried into "flowers" for decorating the top.


There's supposed to be a cup of canned crushed pineapple in the batter, but since I didn't have any I just put a cup of fresh pineapple in the food processor and used that just fine.

And, of course, fluffy cream cheese frosting tops things off.

7 comments:

Tracy said...

This is one of my all-time favourite cakes. It also goes beautifully with gluten free flour, which can result cakes that are bit dry and crumbly. The pineapple and banana seems to be good mates with G/F flour.

YUM.

Anonymous said...

What has been the favorite of all the cake recipes?
~Kate

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

I love this cake.. One of my favorites. I have made a double batch of it, and freeze the extra layers , for the next cake.. [and honestly, the next one is even more moist and better.. And so nice, when you have the unexpected guest]

Anna said...

The Applesauce Spice Cake has been the hands-down winner so far.

Tracey said...

I have only made the pound cake up to now.. it's been too hot to turn the oven on, so I am patiently waiting to continue my way through the book.. thanks again for the inspiration! I love this cook book!

Holly said...

Thank the LORD you explained what the pineapples on top actually were. For a moment there, I thought they were mushrooms! :)

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

This is the cake my husband requested for his birthday this year! My little brother used to call it the "Singing Bird" cake!

Very involved, but worth it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails