Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Bella Makes Madeleines


Bella's been trying out madeleine recipes in the new pan she got for Christmas. Some are too buttery (who knew?), some are too scanty. She was happy with this one, tweaked from the current issue of Tea Time magazine.

Heat oven to 350. Butter the madeleine pan.

Clarify 3/4 c. butter in a small saucepan by heating over low heat until brown and nutty, then straining through a paper towel in a sieve. Throw out the solids, keep the liquid.

Beat together:
4 eggs
and a pinch of salt at a medium speed, until thick.
Add:
2/3 c. sugar a little at a time, beating at a high speed.

Fold in:
1 t. orange flower water (or orange zest)
1 t. vanilla
and the brown butter.
Then 3/4 c. sifted flour.
Don't stir past the folding in.

Fill each madeleine well almost to the top. Makes two pans.
Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes.

9 comments:

Polly said...

Love those madelines and that jadeite-esque setting! I'll have to try this recipe. Madelines are one of my favorite treats to make--madelines, tea and Proust!

Jeannie B. said...

I love your green dishes!

Beth said...

Oh, my, I may be mildly in love with that plate. I think I'll have to try the cookies to see if I fall mildly in love with them too! :-)

April said...

Sounds good!

Rose said...

I haven't tasted one for years, thanks for the recipe. Lovely work Bella.

Sarah said...

Wow, I just made Madeleines yesterday as a gift for someone! My recipe is very similar to Bella's and so delicious.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I have never made Madelines before - will have to give it a try one day soon. My baker girlies will love having a new recipe to try out.

Margo said...

how pretty!

I don't throw my solids out after clarifying butter -I put them on veggies and it tastes so good.

Sharon said...

You go Bella! These look and sound fantastic. And how nice they would be with a cup of Lady Grey. Thanks for sharing Anna:)

Have a Blessed Resurrection Day!
Sharon

Related Posts with Thumbnails