Monday, August 27, 2007

Ninety-three Birthdays

Oh, it's so good to be back. Our trusty microwave dish on the roof suddenly stopped receiving signals. Three dishes later we gave up and have gone to DSL. I hope to never think about internet access again . . .

In recent events we celebrated my grandmother's astonishing Ninety-Third Birthday:




In her diabetic honor, I created the world's tiniest birthday cake. A dollop of batter in a mini-muffin pan, with the tiny cake split into layers and frosted. Set on a fig leaf and topped with half a fig for an elegant presentation. She ate the whole thing!


Clara and Bella prepared a wonderful guitar-cello duet of "Happy Birthday." With all Clara's double stops, it sounded like a small orchestra!


For the rest of the guests, a full-size chocolate cake, decorated the same. To keep the figs from rolling off during transport in my new vintage cake box, I impaled each of them on a hidden toothpick. I must depend on beauty from nature to make good-looking cakes. If I try to get fancy with the frosting, not good.


Four generations in a row--me, Daisy, my mother, my grandmother. A ninety year span!

20 comments:

Linda said...

What a wonderful picture and treaasure. You three mothers have a lot to be proud of.

Missy said...

My week is already looking up! 93 birthdays is amazing but 93 birthdays and still that beautiful speaks of a beauty that comes from within. What a gift of wisdom she must be in your life.

Anonymous said...

So wonderful to have you back!
Your Grandmother is beautiful. The picture of the four of you ladies is beautiful as well. I'm so glad the Lord blessed her with another birthday to celebrate.
Mindy

Christina.B said...

May God Bless your Grandmother in her years to come! The mini cake looked so good, I would have ate the whole thing too!

Mrs. MK said...

So glad you're bad "on" Anna!!

What lovely family you have! And the cake looked so beautiful! Thanks, Giles, for the wonderful photos!!

Mrs. MK said...

Sorry, I meant "back on"!!
(blushing)

Late nights with teething baby account for all types of typos, right??

Kimmie said...

What a thoughtful beautiful girl you are...4 generations of beautiful women. Cheers!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Cindi said...

Oh treasure that family photo! To be able to still have your grandmother with you. What a blessing.

Grafted Branch said...

She's b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!

Happy birthday to her.

I'm enjoying your blog very much; it's nice to "meet" you.

Me said...

Love the photo pf your grandmother, she's gorgeous!

Shannon said...

Welcome back, Anna! We've missed you!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Welcome back Anna!

Birthday wishes to your grandmother! She's precious.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, and your grandmother looks like a lovely lady. I am very excited myself this week to be making the cake for my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. They are in their seventies, and I have been so blessed by having them close by for both me and my children to love. It gives me so much hope and happiness to see a couple make it to 50 yrs. together, or to see a lovely lady celebrate her 93rd.

Blessings,
Mrs. H.

Anonymous said...

Very glad to have you back on, the mini fig cake so cute. Many happy returns to your lovely grandmother!

I would be interested in learning about YOUR mother and your grandmother...their guiding philosophies and habits that produced you, such an accomplished daughter.

Anonymous said...

last post from floorplan. I have no blog so must comment as "anonymous" but usually sign it!

Mimi said...

beautiful family (all 4 generations) your grandmother must be very proud of what she has accomplished through your mother and then through you.. you are much to make her proud..
I came to your blog through Jodi (deputy domain)

Davene said...

Thanks for sharing this! My great-grandmother lived to be 96, and I treasure a four generation picture I have with her. Priceless!

Serena said...

Odd--I see no family resemblance at all. ;)

Really, though, what a beautiful photo!

Meredith said...

Beautiful!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not a frosting queen.

Kelly @ The Barefoot Mama said...

What a beautiful grandmother! The picture of all of you gals together is so cool! Even though I'm late, praying birthday blessings for your grandmother. :0)

Related Posts with Thumbnails