Friday, July 20, 2007

Care and Feeding of the Fabric Stash

With proper care and feeding, your fabric stash can live a long and productive life. As a general rule, you should treat it like sourdough starter.

Keep it clean. Don't let the cats nest in it. Wash your fabric when you bring it home from the store so that instant gratification can be yours should you get a flash of sewing inspiration.



Stir it regularly. Unfolding, admiring, smoothing, and rearranging are all good for your fabric stash.



Of course, the stash must be fed fresh fabric on a regular basis. You should put a little in every so often, which will often cause you to take something else out and sew with it, which is good for everyone.



Giving a little away never hurt either.

9 comments:

Girl Raised in the South said...

Being a quilter, this struck a strong cord with me. We ooh and aah over each other's "stash" when we quilt in one another's home. Love your 1930's fabrics!

Serena said...

An optional ingredient is lavendar sachets tucked in between the layers...for good measure!

Anonymous said...

Your analogy of the sourdough starter made me chuckle. Yes, add more to the stash. I'm so thankful I'm married to a carpenter. He understands my need to have a fabric stash (as he has a lumber rack). We cheer each other on when we clear out the stash/rack by completing a big project.

Cheri said...

Ahh, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has stash's and piles of fabric! Thanks for the tips, too.

Shannon said...

Anna, when you buy stash fabric, and you don't necessarily have a project in mind for it at the moment you buy it, how many yards do you buy?

Roberta said...

Too funny...and too true.
I was actually just heading in to "stir" my fabric stash, and make it neater after a little computer time, so it made me laugh to read this post. :)

Angela McRae said...

What a completely lovely thought! I'm sharing this with my quilting friends!

Sabine said...

Lovely tips!
Fabrics are so addictive...

designsbynana said...

What a wonderful analogy! I was sorting my fabric stash today and thinking ahead to the holidays...

Related Posts with Thumbnails