Monday, February 27, 2006

Little Women

I love the chapter of Little Women which deals with oldest daughter Meg's adjustment to young motherhood and housekeeping. She has twins and has worn herself to a frazzle:

"She was. . . in that unreasonable frame of mind which the best of mothers occasionally experience when domestic cares oppress them, want of exercise robs them of cheerfulness, and too much devotion to that idol of American women, -the teapot,- makes them feel as if they were all nerve and no muscle."

Her mother wisely advises her:
". . .Do more housework. You need the exercise. . .Go out more; keep cheerful as well as busy,-for you are the sunshine-maker of the family, and if you get dismal there is no fair weather."

Fortunately,
"Meg recovered her spirits, and composed her nerves, by plenty of wholesome exercise, a little pleasure, and much confidential conversation with her sensible husband. . .Home grew home-like again, and everyone found the little house a cheerful place, full of happiness, content, and family love."

Thinking about this passage always makes me wonder if I am devoting myself too much to my teapot. It's a danger.

2 comments:

CallaLilly said...

Perhaps, I devote too much time to the TV as my tea pot. I love and adore tea, but seldom sit down for a cup - it usually goes with me.

CallaLilly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts with Thumbnails