Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Schoolhouse Donuts

I've been messing with the recipe I used before and am very happy with these luscious, dairy-free, comforting babies:

*Schoolhouse Donuts*

3 C. white flour
3 C. wheat flour (if not fresh ground, use 1.5 cups each of wheat and white)
2 T. baking powder
2 C. sugar
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
4 eggs
1 1/2 C. rice milk (or soy or regular milk)
4 T. shortening

Blend until well-mixed, even kneading towards the end to get a nice smooth dough. Roll out on floured surface about 1/2 inch thick. Cut in donut shapes and fry in two inches of medium-hot oil. You want it hot enough to sizzle going in and not take too long to get nice and brown, but not so hot the outside gets too brown too fast. You'll know it when you see it. Donuts will rise when they are ready to be turned--they are so helpful! When cool, let powdered sugar fall on them through a mesh strainer or sifter; it's fun.

Great for feeding big hungry boys.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - I've so enjoyed reading through your blog. I've added some reading material to my list, thanks to you!
I had a question about the donuts - if I'm not grinding it myself, was it 1.5 cups of both wheat and flour, or 1.5 cups MORE of both wheat and flour? Equalling 4.5 cups each? I'm feeling dense.
But thrilled to have a donut recipe I can do at home! Do I have to have a cast iron skillet?
Thanks so much!

Mrs. U said...

Oh wow! These sound GOOD!! I've always wanted to make homemade donuts!!

And there is no sugar in the dough, right? The only sugar comes from the powdered sugar on top??

His,
Mrs. U

Anonymous said...

Anna, I tried to make these and they didn't turn out. Is there supposed to be sugar in the recipe? Becky

Anna said...

Oh my goodness, yes! 2 cups! Changing the recipe now. I see you weren't the first to notice . . . hope I haven't put the rest of the world off donuts for life . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails